Early Childhood Development | Community Development | Thusanang Trust
Thušanang, meaning 'to help one another' is a non profit organisation founded in 1986. Our core focus is the development and well-being of the young child. The majority of our activities are conducted through community-based Early Childhood Development (ECD) centres where we reach the communities through the ECD practitioners, committees and parents.
Residential training is offered at our Centre in Haenertsburg and workshops take place at venues in the rural areas that are more accessible to our beneficiaries.
To create a sustainable environment for the development and well-being of young children.
To provide opportunities for building capacity in communities to support and improve the lives of young children and their families.
Our objectives are to:
- Provide training for practitioners at community based Early Childhood Development (ECD) centres.
- Provide continuous on-site support for the sustainable, holistic development of children and the management of ECD centres.
- Assist ECD centres to conform to the norms and standards of the Children’s Act.
- Support food security at ECD sites.
- Assist ECD practitioners to facilitate the physical, cognitive and emotional development of children aged 0 – 4 years through delivering quality programmes that are inclusive of children with special needs.
- Assist primary caregivers to provide responsible parenting and solid developmental support to young children.
- Empower women to take control of their lives through establishing and supporting Self Help Groups.
- Create opportunities for dialogue and information sharing amongst community members.
- Create an awareness of the rights of children amongst all our beneficiaries.
- Co-ordinate the efforts of various churches, local organisations and individuals in our immediate area to provide support to children and their families who are battling with poverty related issues.